Saturday 8 September 2012

STREET FOOD KITCHEN - BIRMINGHAM

I loved every moment and  every day of the one week we spent in Birmingham with our daughter, who lives there.  During our enchanting exploration of Birmingham, we would walk around for hours and not know time fly. Sometimes we used to be exploring the city the whole day. We were so in love with the city - there was so much to see and do. 

On one such day, a few months ago, I was exploring the Victoria Centre and surroundings in Birmingham city while my husband had to attend to something important. He said he'd meet me at the Museum of Arts at the Victoria Centre. As I walked around, I came across Street Food Kitchen. They prepare the food right in front of you. And the interesting part is, every day, they had different kinds of meat burgers made from ostrich, kangaroo, reindeer and bison meat. Out of curiosity, I decided to try out something I never had before and thought of surprising my husband as well, by ordering for Ostrich meat burger. I don't eat burgers generally, ever since I decided to eat healthy. But once in blue moon, especially during our vacations or travel, that's when I end up trying out something different, but however I try to stick to moderation. (Right now I am on a "Clean Eating Challenge").

I didn't find the Ostrich burger tastier than a chicken burger. It had no unusual taste nor was it something you would devour. But...there is something important about ostrich meat you should know. It is very rich in iron, offers more protein,  has low cholestrol, it's low in calories and low in fat compared to any other meat. Ostrich meat is not white, it's red. It has high nutritional value and considered absolutely healthy. It's best marinated and then grilled, stir fried, roasted, or in soup or curry. That would be healthier than in burger form. Ostrich meat would be good choice for people trying to lose weight. If you get ostrich meat, keep an eye on the cooking time, as the meat cooks fast.








2 comments:

Unknown said...

i lived and worked there as a dentist for 1 and half years ...i loved every second ...
you should pay a visit to connon hill park if the weather is nice ! nothing beats a nice picnic in a beautiful British day or down the canal at the mailbox..

Unknown said...

i lived and worked there as a dentist for 1 and half years ...i loved every second ...
that ostrich place is amazing , i think it was set up since xmass market...
you should pay a visit to connon hill park if the weather is nice ! nothing beats a nice picnic in a beautiful British day or down the canal at the mailbox..